Thanks for visiting the Smith Family Web site. It's maintained by me, Tom Smith, and I use it to:
There's some pictures on the right of the people who generally use this site: my family.
In no particular order:
- Most recent development: the images on the right are being served by Amazon Web Services (AWS) CloudFront. Yes, overkill. But pretty cool.
- The origin of the images is an AWS S3 bucket.
- This page is being hosted by an AWS EC2 instance that I set up.
- Amazon Linux
- To do: move my legacy MySQL instance from FatCow to RDS
- I built the site with a homegrown CMS (PHP and MySQL). I'm pretty
strict about using PHP in an object-oriented fashion.
- I use NetBeans as my editor
- Of course CSS, though I'm obviously not a designer, and I still cheat a
lot using tables.
- I've incorporated social login into the Pictures portion of the site.
- The baseball site is relatively sophisticated. During baseball season I
go out to a major sports information web site and retrieve ~400
players' stats pages on a daily basis. I parse the pages for stats and
then calculate totals for the ~40 participants in the league. All of
the participants have 13 players on their starting roster, and they're
allowed to drop/add two players during the season. It gets more
complicated than you might think. But, it keeps me out of trouble and
it's a great source of entertainment for the family.
My Parents' Family
My Grandparents' Family (about 80 of us!)